Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Maximum Savings Interest before paying tax

On the gov.uk web site it says for Tax on Savings Interest: Most people can earn some interest from their savings without paying tax. Your allowances for earning interest before you have to pay tax on it include: your Personal Allowance starting rate for savings Personal Savings Allowance You get these allowances each tax year. How much you get depends on your other income. My question is for the 2022/23 tax year if a person only has say for example £400 of other income how much savings interest can they have before paying tax on it? Is it £12570 personal allowance less £400 other income leaving £12170 plus the starting rate for savings £5000 plus the Personal Savings Allowance of £1000 making a total of £18170?
  • How to claim tax paid on Other Income

I have no earnings, benefits, or pension income but I do receive a small income by way of a loyalty bonus on funds I invest in and this income is taxed at source by the fund platform. As my income is well below my personal allowance how can I claimthe tax back?
  • RE: Tax Reclaim R40

As you did not provide any means of contacting them other than by telephone I sent a letter by post as this would cost less than the telephone. However, the situation has just got worse as I have just checked my Personal Tax Account today to Check on the Progress now after sending my letter and My R40 form has now been taken off the system and instead it says 'We don't have any forms or letters from you on our system yet.' and in my account it also says 'You paid the right amount of tax for 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022' with no mention of my R40 or tax due to me. I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall. Have you any suggestions what I can do now?
  • RE: Tax Reclaim R40

Thank you but if I ring them it can take up to 1 hour to get to speak to someone and my telephone provider charges a 19p connection charge and then 11.5p per minute so the call could cost me £7.09 just to get to speak to them and then more for the time it takes for them to look at what is already on their system. Is there another way to contact them? I can not send a message from my Personal Tax Account, I can not find and email address for this type of query and the Web Chat facility that I use to use does not now appear to be available.
  • Tax Reclaim R40

I submitted an online R40 tax reclaim form which is showing in my Personal Tax Account Check Progress as received on 28 April 2022 and orginally showed and estimated Process Completion date of end of May 2022 but it is now not showing this estimated date and has not yet even shown a Work Started date. Please can you tell me when you are likely to start work on this and when I can expect my refund? Similarly I updated my Personl Tax information online with two entries on 27 April 2022 and again nothing has been processed yet and there is not even a work started date. Why is there such a delay?