Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Can I correct a submitted return?

I’ve looked at my online CGT account - there isn’t the facility to amend income details. Can you please clarify what you mean by waiting “until the end of the tax year to show the information on the actual tax return”. We have written to HMRC about this. When should we expect a reply?
  • Can I correct a submitted return?

We sold our rental property at the end of June. I’ve completed our CG returns this evening and have paid what I owe. My husband has set up a bank transfer for his for next week. I’ve since realised that the projected income figure on our HMRC portals for this current tax year - which I used for both CG returns - is incorrect as it includes the rental income we no longer receive. What are my options for updating the returns as I think we will have over-paid?
  • Classic car query

We bought a 1980’s classic car several years back that’s taken to shows, used for pleasure etc only. It’s worth less than what we paid for it unfortunately (we had hoped it would retain its value or appreciate). Should we sell it to one of the garages we’ve approached, can the loss be offset against a capital gain elsewhere this tax year or is the car simply exempt from CGT?