Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Capital Gains Tax, Principal Private Residence relief and Refurbishment allowance

    I have lived in my current home for many years. I am thinking of having it refurbished soon and possibly one day moving out and renting it at some point in the future. If I were to sell my property after renting it out for some years, would CGT be applicable to the years that it was rented out or could I elect for it to be treated as my Principal Private Residence even while it was rented out? Also, under these circumstances could I offset the refurbishment costs against any future CGT liability even though I had subsequently rented it out and then either sold it or moved back for a while and then sold it?