Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Cannot access Gov Gateway even after correcting surname on National Insurance number

I am looking for some advice. I have been trying to access my Gov Gateway account for a few months now. I had the incorrect surname on my National Insurance number when I first received it. I have amended it to the correct surname now and thought that I would be able to access my account. However, this is still not the case. I have called the National Insurance department and they have confirmed that the change of my surname has been done. I am at a loss as to what to do next as Gov Gateway will not register my correct surname as correct details. Once I try to put in the incorrect surname it leads me to the page in which I am asked to verify my identity. Of course I am unable to do this as my ID only contains my correct surname and not the wrong one that was initially placed on my National Insurance. I have made the relevant changes and made calls to confirm my details have been updated so I have no idea what to do next to gain access to Government Gateway. Any help would be much appreciated!