Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Sustenance expenses as an itinerant worker

    Hi, have seen conflicting information regarding claiming tax relief on food and drink as a PAYE employee. I work as a mobile engineer travelling from my home address to client sites around the country. I am paid door to door (home) so my work starts as soon as I start travelling until I reach home again. The sites I work at are different each day with no more than a week at each location (usually just one or two days). I travel home again each evening and rarely stay away. I believe that this means I am classed as an itinerant worker? I often have to buy food and drink from service stations/supermarkets etc. Would I able to claim tax relief on these purchases? I already fill in a tax return for pension contributions tax relief as a PAYE employee and have read that I may be able to also claim for expenses on travel expenses?