Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Split year treatment

Hi HRMC admin, The matching share was a kind of Share incentive plan. Those share were kept in trust for 3 year and then now transferred to my Hong Kong bank account, which I haven't sold them yet. Will those free share I need to report in the tax return? Thank you.
  • RE: Split year treatment

Hi HRMC admin, Thanks for the reply. Regarding the matching share I received from the HK employer on 28-Sep-2022, but I haven’t sold it and this has been taxed by the HK Government, do I need to include this in the self assessment? Thanks.
  • Self assessment tax return for Capital gain tax relief for selling our home

Hi, I’ve got the BNO Visa and moved to UK in June 2022. I had a flat in Hong Kong which my family and I was used to live in it as our home since I married with my husband. After we moved to UK in June 2022, I sold this flat in October 2022 with some gain. I have fulfilled all of the below criteria (which is quoted from https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home) Private Residence Relief You do not pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) your home if all of the following apply: 1. you have one home and you’ve lived in it as your main home for all the time you’ve owned it 2. you have not let part of it out - this does not include having a lodger 3. you have not used a part of your home exclusively for business purposes (using a room as a temporary or occasional office does not count as exclusive business use) 4. the grounds, including all buildings, are less than 5,000 square metres (just over an acre) in total 5. you did not buy it just to make a gain If all these apply you will automatically get a tax relief called Private Residence Relief and will have no tax to pay. ———————————————————————- My question is: Do I still need to file any self assessment or any tax return related to the above gain? As I fulfilled all of the above criteria, I can automatically get a tax relief called Private Residence Relief and will have no tax to pay. Could you pls confirmed with me that I am correct? Thank you very much.
  • Split year treatment

Hi HRMC admin, I arrived to UK on 29-Jun-2022 by using BNO visa and rented a house on 14-Jun-2022 (we had the rent started before arriving UK). When I arrived UK on 29-June-2022 and I was on annual leave in my HK employment until my HK contract ended on 31-July-2022. I started my UK employment on 01-Aug-2022. I would like to apply the split tax treatment and I would like to clarify if the following income will need to be included in the self assessment tax return: i) I received the pension raised from my previous employment in HK on 09-Sep-2022 ii) I received the matching share from the HK employer on 28-Sep-2022, but I haven’t sold it and this has been taxed by the HK Government. iii) I got the bonus for the previous employment in HK on 20-Mar-2023, which his also has been taxed by the HK Government Regards, Jack