Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: VAT question for freelance journalist

I thought use and enjoyment rules are only relevant for electronically supplied services? Unique written content sent manually by email doesn't fit into this category, does it?
  • RE: VAT question for freelance journalist

Thanks. So the relevant factor is the place of belonging of the business/customer that pays me for my service, and the ultimate destination of my content has no relevance with regards VAT?
  • VAT question for freelance journalist

Hi. I'm a freelance journalist. I sell written content to businesses based outside the UK. Usually the B2B sale of services is out of scope of UK VAT. However, I have one client who has signed a deal to supply a UK-based website with content. I send my articles to the non-UK company, and they in turn supply the content to a UK website. Is UK VAT due in this case because the articles ultimately end up on a UK site? Or is it still out of scope as my business dealings are entirely with the non-UK company, whom I invoice monthly?
  • UK sole trader, selling outside UK. Do I need to register for VAT?

Hi all, I was wondering if someone would be able to help me to clarify one or two things with regards to VAT. I'm a sole trader (freelance journalist) whose turnover recently exceeded £85,000 per year. However, the majority of my income comes from B2B sales to non-UK publications. My work for UK-based companies produces a turnover that is well below the threshold. However, I'm still unclear whether I'm required to register for VAT or not. My overall business turnover exceeds the £85,000. But my turnover from UK companies is just a fraction of this, around £30,000. Does anyone have any guidance on this?