Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: DTA Netherlands UK

I also have de so called " vrijstelling " but I was a bit confused by the 25k threshold. Reading more & more although not easy to find, I get the impression the 25k is in there as a " no fuss clause " but for higher amounts the treaty wants a guarantee that I pay income tax in either the Netherlands or UK as long as the UK has a policy of taxing people like in the Netherlands. That's the case in the UK: pensions are not exempt from taxation so applying for my second pension, ask " vrijstelling " again and pay UK tax should go smoothly. I hope the same rules apply to state pension (AOW) I assume you're born in the Netherlands and have a Dutch passport too...... Oh and thanks for your reply.
  • DTA Netherlands UK

I receive a small early retirement pension from the Netherlands. I live in the UK all year round for several years now. It's below 25k euro so it's taxed in the UK. I can add another early Dutch pension that could bring me above the 25k threshold and later on the Dutch state pension. For convenience I'd rather pay income tax just to HMRC but the treaty says all above 25k is taxable in the Netherlands. How to prevent double taxation in the UK? Do I have to exempt the income or deduct tax paid in the Netherlands?