Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: CGT “losses available to be carried forward”

Thanks, I have now sorted my HMRC bill, but my focus is now on my spouse's liability. I bought the residential property in 2004 in my sole name even though we were married, and then transferred it into joint ownership in 2022 before selling it in 2024. What figures do I work on for her CGT liability (what is her deemed purchase date and price?). She has no losses to bring forward and is a BRT
  • RE: CGT “losses available to be carried forward”

Hi this is my first post so I'm sorry if I get it wrong. Me and my spouse made a capital loss on a second property sold in 09/2019 We also now have a capital gain on a second house sold 24/04/2024. My first question is if the loss wasn't posted on my SA return in 19/20 can I now offset it against some of my gain? My spouse doesn't complete a SA so what happens to her loss for carrying forward? Secondly, if the property that has gained was transferred from single ownership to joint ownership in 08/2022, does that have any impact on the gains/reporting (apart from allowing us to each use our £3000 GCT allowance)?