Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How to Pay Voluntary National Insurance Contributions from Abroad

Thanks for your reply. Should I contact the Pension Service now or should I wait until I hear back from your International Team about the shortfalls of voluntary contributions I'm able to make? I understand that I might not hear back from the International Team for close to a year (is that correct?). It feels like it could be a multi-year process to get to the point of being able to pay any shortfalls. If I'm able, I'd likely want to pay back to 2006, which as I understand it will remain possible up until April 2025...but what if the processes mentioned above takes longer than that? Cheers.
  • RE: How to Pay Voluntary National Insurance Contributions from Abroad

Question for HRMC: I have lived in Canada since 1988 (working continuously since then). I have 6 full years of NI contributions prior to 1988. I understand that I should read N138 and submit CF83. A Quick Look at CF83 makes me think it is aimed at people about to move, rather than those long since moved...but this is the correct form for my circumstances? Once I complete CF83… will I eventually receive a letter outlining exactly what years I can make NI contributions for; the Class of NI contributions; the total payable; and how to pay? Will I also be advised how any possible NI contributions will benefit/impact my future State Pension? Cheers.