Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: HMRC Estimated Income

Hi, I wonder if you could advise me. I checked my estimated income for 2024/25 and observed that my state pension income was incorrect. It is currently set at the value of the carers allowance that is paid to me. However, I am 66 this year and my full state pension will start in September at which time the carers allowance will cease. I contacted HMRC hoping to get the estimated state pension field in the estimate raised to my new annual value. This would help spread the increased tax burden over the full year rather than a big hit in the second half of the year. The advisor from HMRC said this could not happen but reduced the carers allowance figure to what would be the income until it stops in September effectively exacerbating the tax burden later in the year. I don’t understand why that figure could not be increased to the value I expect it to be for the whole year i.e. carers allowance until September plus state pension for the rest of the year. Grateful for an explanation please.