Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Foreign gains/dividends from US bond/stock ETFs

Hello, I would like to understand how to fill in tax return for US gains/dividends from US bond/stock ETFs. I read the docs about offshore funds. Is my understanding below correct? Thanks. 1. dividends from US bond ETF: treated as foreign interest income 2. dividends from US stock ETF: treated as foreign interest income 3. gains from US bond ETF: treated as income. is it treaded as foreign interest income or other income? 4. gains from US stock ETF: treated as income. is it treaded as foreign interest income or other income?
  • RE: Split year treatment and foreign income

Hello HMRC Admin, I would like to ask how to apportion "Foreign Tax Credit Relief for the tax paid". Here is my case: 1. I will apply for split year treatment for tax year 23-24. (foreign part: 06/04/23 - 21/08/23 / UK part: 22/08/23 - 05/04/24) 2. I received monthly salary from a Hong Kong employer from 06/04/23 to 17/10/23. The salary from 22/08/23 to 17/10/23 is taxable in UK. 3. If I pay tax GBP 1000 to the Hong Kong government for the whole tax year 23-24, how to apportion the UK part for "Foreign Tax Credit Relief for the tax paid". Thank you.
  • RE: Hong Kong Employer

Hi, I would like to refine my questions as follows. Do I need to pay NI on my foreign income from a Hong Kong employer in case 1. I work remotely for the employer in UK 2. the employer doesn't have any entity in UK 3. I have paid contributions to MPF (a compulsory pension fund in Hong Kong). The employer deducts the contributions from my salary and pays to the fund. Thank you.
  • RE: Hong Kong Employer

Hi, Last email mentioned we could report earnings from foreign employer via Self Assessment Tax Return. Do we need to pay NI on these earnings? Thanks.