Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Pre-commencement Pension and LSA

Thanks for getting back to me. I just have another question in relation to the following link and the transitional tax-free Amount certificate. PTM174300 - https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm174300 When detailing the values that need to be used under 'lump sum transitional tax-free amounts', it appears to duplicate the pre-2006 tax-free amount elements? This appears to suggest you need to add on 'any tax-free lump sums taken before 2006', followed by 'In addition, if the member had a pension in payment before 6 April 2006, 25% of the amount of the deemed BCE under paragraph 20 Schedule 36 FA 2004 that occurred immediately before the first BCE is included in the lump sum transitional tax-free amount. '. This would appear to be a duplication of the pre 2006 lump sum as you are including the actual amount received plus 25% of the BCE value? Could you confirm for me? I have detailed the full extract below: "Lump sum transitional tax-free amount The lump sum transitional tax-free amount is the total of the following amounts (if any) that the individual was entitled to prior to 6 April 2024:      - Pension commencement lump sums   - Uncrystallised funds pension lump sums    - Stand-alone lump sums   - Any tax-free lump sums taken before 6 April 2006     so far as no income tax charge has arisen in respect of these lump sums.   In addition, if the member had a pension in payment before 6 April 2006, 25% of the amount of the deemed BCE under paragraph 20 Schedule 36 FA 2004 that occurred immediately before the first BCE is included in the lump sum transitional tax-free amount.   The lump sum transitional tax-free amount is used to determine an individual’s available lump sum allowance, see PTM174100"