Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Moving "clean" capital from overseas for UK Tax Residents and Domiciles

Hi I came across this post and wondered if there was any conclusion as I may be in a similar position. I have savings in an offshore account that arose via transfer of my salary from overseas employment whilst I was UK non-resident (I am a UK national). I have never been taxed on the remittance basis nor am I now. As a non-resident when the income arose, there was no tax payable in the UK. I am also trying to establish whether now, as a UK resident, transfer of the offshore savings to a UK account will incur tax. I reiterate, the source of funds was income earned whilst non-UK resident that was not taxed on the remittance basis. It’s a very confusing picture for me.
  • RE: Money Transfer Tax Implications - UK non-resident

Hi HMRC admin The guidance you have linked seems to relate to individuals who are taxed on the remittance basis for non-domiciled residents. This does not apply to my circumstances - I am referring to circumstances relating to non-residence. Please allow me to rephrase. Whilst I was a non-resident, I transferred money from my UK savings to an international account to get better interest rates. I understand from earlier on in this thread that there are no UK tax implications of doing this. After returning to the UK, and becoming resident again, I wish to transfer the savings back to my account in the UK. Could you please advise what tax implications there are on doing this?
  • RE: Salary Transfer Tax Implications - Non-Resident

Great. The bank account in question is a joint account with my wife. Are there any tax implications on this or with her transferring money out of the joint account (which is essentially my non-resident salary), into her sole account (the reason for this being to avail improved interest rates)?

Ok. So if I was a UK resident now, would there be any tax implications with transferring money from my international account to my UK account? The source of the money is savings of salary earned when non resident?

Great. When I return to the UK, and become tax resident, are there any tax implications of transferring the money back (I.e. from the international account to the UK account)?
  • Money Transfer Tax Implications - UK non-resident

I am a UK national, non-resident in the UK by virtue of working full time overseas. I hold a bank account in the UK and an international savings account in the Channel Islands. The interest rates I receive in my UK account are very low and, as a non-resident of the UK, my bank is unwilling to offer anything new. I have opened an international account to improve this and wanted to know if there are any tax implications with transferring money from the UK to the international account, whether now as a UK non-resident or upon my return to the UK at some point in the future.
  • Salary Transfer Tax Implications - Non-Resident

I am a UK national, non-resident in the UK by virtue of working full time overseas. I hold a bank account in the UK and my family reside there. I wish to transfer my salary earned overseas from my local account to my bank account in the UK to support my family there. I understand from the HMRC guidance that the income I have earned overseas is not taxable in the UK but I wanted to check if the physical act of transferring the income changed this status (ie - is there a tax implication with making the transfer)?