Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Pension contributions

Hi, Your website says the following: “Your annual allowance is the limit on the amount of pension savings that can be made to all your pension schemes in a tax year before you have to pay tax on them. This can be from a: defined contributions arrangement — where your pensions savings is the total contributions you (or a third party like your employer) have made defined benefits arrangement — where your pension savings is the increase in the value of your promised benefits under the pension scheme, from the start to the end of the period your pension savings are measured (from 2016 to 2017 this is the tax year) You will not be taxed on pension savings over your annual allowance if you have enough unused annual allowance from previous years to carry forward. You can carry forward unused allowance from the 3 previous tax years. This annual allowance only applies to pension savings made to your UK registered pension schemes, or to overseas schemes where either you or your employer qualifies for UK tax relief. When you cannot carry forward unused annual allowance If you have unused money purchase annual allowance, you cannot carry this forward, but you can carry forward any unused alternative annual allowance. You cannot carry forward unused allowances from any tax year where you were not a member of at least one UK registered pension scheme, or a qualifying overseas pension scheme.” So it would seem based on following figures : 2018/2019- earnings £10,000. My allowance was therefore £10,000 and unused (pension opened in.2004 but not contributed in this year) 2019/2020- earnings £10,000. My allowance was therefore £10,000 and unused (pension opened in.2004 but not contributed in this year) 2020/2021- earnings £10,000. My allowance was therefore £10,000 and unused (pension opened in.2004 but not contributed in this year) 2021/2022- earnings £10,000. My allowance was therefore £10,000 and unused (pension opened in.2004 but not contributed in this year) 2022/2023 - earnings £10,000. My allowance was therefore £10,000 and unused (pension opened in.2004 but not contributed in this year) 2023/ 2023- earnings £10,000. My allowance was therefore £10,000 and carry forward is £30,000 from previous 3 years unused. So I can add up to £40,000 this year Woth tax relief? As according to the website “ You will not be taxed on pension savings over your annual allowance if you have enough unused annual allowance from previous years to carry forward. You can carry forward unused allowance from the 3 previous tax years.” Is my assumption correct then I can add up to £40,000 based on MY previous years allowances and the carry forward rule?