Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Gift tax for cash gift from overseas

    Dear HMRC, I am a non-citizen UK resident on a work visa and pay UK tax through payroll. I have received regular bank transfer in my uk account in the tune of 3,000 to 10,000 per month in the past year from a close friend who is a Bermuda resident (non uk resident). As I used my uk account to pay for his UK mortgage on a property he owns here and all the associated maintance and renovation cost for this property. Because he doesn't have a uk bank account or credit card. Do I have to declare the money I received from my friend as oversea income in this case? And do I have to pay tax on any of the money transfers? Thanks, Sabrina