Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How does HMRC know who receives the rental income?

Hi, Can I please double check on that point: "You do not need to complete the Form 17. You need to write & sign a Trust Deed. However most types of trusts giving an interest in property to somebody who is not the legal owner now need to be registered with HMRC via the Trust Registration Service. " => Do I really need to register a Trust Deed even if I only transfer rental income but not the ownership? The property will stay in my name. Thank you
  • How does HMRC know who receives the rental income?

Hi, I am the sole owner of a property in the UK. I transfer 100% of the rental income to my husband. I understand that I do not need to fill the form 17 as this is not applicable. I understand that I need to write and sign a trust deed but that I do not need to register it nor to send it to HMRC. Therefore my question is the following: how does HMRC know that my husband is the one who needs to declare and pay taxes for this property? Thank you.
  • Non resident landlord scheme

Hi, I solely own a property in the UK. I transfer 100% of the rental income to my husband via a trust deed. We are moving abroad and we need to register as "non resident landlord scheme". Who has to register, is it me the owner or is it my husband because he receives the rental income? Thank you.
  • Transferring rental income to a friend

Hi, My partner and I are not married and are not in a civil partnership. We live together and have children together. I own a flat that I will rent out soon. My question is the following: can I transfer 100% of the rental income to my partner via a declaration of trust even if we are not in a legal partnership? Thank you
  • RE: Rental income transfer to someone else

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to come back on your latest point "You also need to consider the capital gains implications as this would be considered a disposal for CGT purposes." The CGT implications would only happen if we sell the flat while the beneficial owner is my partner correct? If I execute a new deed of trust so that the beneficial owner is me (who is also the owner) then when I sell the flat there is no capital gain implication to consider, am I correct? It would be like nothing happened? Thank you
  • Rental income transfer to someone else

Hi, I have been reading the forum and I just wanted to clarify a couple of points. I am the sole owner of a flat that I will be renting out soon. I would like to transfer all the rental income to my partner. 1) Am I correct in thinking that I do not need to inform HMRC nor to send any document but instead I simply need a deed of trust that HMRC might or might not ask in the future? 2) Can the deed of trust be stopped at anytime? 3) if we do that (transfer 100% of the property rental income), are we commiting in the long term or that can be cancelled quickly at any time? Thank you