Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Do I need a self assessment?

I have interest income in the tax year 2023/2024. - Interest income from bank in UK: GBP4000 - Interest income from saving account at bank in Hong Kong: Total approximately GBP 250 (HKD 800 + USD 150) During the year 2023/2024, I have a job in UK and paid by the PAYE. For my foreign interest income of GBP 250, do I need to register for a self assessment and filing my tax return? Thanks a lot
  • National minimum wages enquiry - Pay Reference Period

I am currently employed by employment agency and working in a factory as an agency worker. My hourly rate is £11 as at 31 March 2024. The pay reference period is from Monday to Sunday weekly.  I.e. the pay reference period for my work last week is from 1st April to 7th April 2024. The national minimum wages of UK raise to  £11.44 from 1st April 2024. I have just got my payslip for my work from 1 st April to 7th April (I worked at 2, 3, 4 April) and found that my hourly rate is still £11.  It is below the new national minimum wages.  The employment agency doesn't calculate my salary by the new minimum wages. The staff of the employment agency explained that they pay by the old wages rate because the Pay Reference Period  of the factory I woked is from Sunday to Saturday (31st March to 6 April).  Therefore the new minimum wages will be appy from the next pay reference period (from 7th April). The Pay Reference Period of my employment agency is difference from the factory. In my payslip, the Pay Reference Period is shown as 1st April to 7th April . I am very confusing if under this circumstances:  which pay reference period is applicable, my employment agency or the factory? I am employed by the employment agency, not the factory. If employment agency's pay reference period (from 1st April to 7th April) is applicable to me.   I will pay by the new minimum wages £11.44 However, if the factory's pay reference period (31st March to 6 th April). I will pay by the old wages £11 Could you please tell which Pay Reference Period is applicable under this circumstances?  How much should I get for my work last week?  £11 or £11.44? Thank you for your help.