Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Payments made in error

I followed your advice to write to HMRC NIC&EO, PT OPs NE England on behalf of my wife. I sent a letter on 26th July 2023 to request a refund or re-allocation of NIC payments. As yet I have not received an acknowledgement or any kind of reply. As it is nearly six months since sending our letter we are concerned that it has not been received. Can you confirm the post turn round time (expected delay) for this HMRC department? In the continued absence of a response my wife is considering writing to our local MP for assistance.
  • Payments made in error

My wife finally got through to DWP today to check why her additional voluntary Class 3 NIC had not been processed. The payments made for 2008/9, 2009/10 and 2010/11 are showing as being paid to HMRC on her NI record. She was told by the advisor that these would not add to her pension as she had 30 qualifying years by 2016, therefore only years from 2016 onwards would qualify. We contacted DWP earlier and did not receive written advice but decided to made the payment in February 2023 before the deadline. In the circumstances can HMRC reallocate the payment or make a refund?