Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: RE:Reporting CGT on Overseas Property sale

Thank you admin 10. I have filled in all relevant details in the online Capital Gains computation worksheet. I have also completed the the Foreign section. In the page headed "Capital gains - foreign tax credit relief and Special Withholding Tax" I have entered the amount of foreign tax paid in the "foreign Tax Paid" box. Should the online capital Gains computation worksheet not pick this up? How else would I claim foreign tax relief?

Posted this a month ago. Can anyone help please? I am a UK resident and have sold property abroad in Ireland. I am reporting capital gain through my oniine self assessment return. As instructed, I have filled in details of gain in Capital Gains section, checked "Capital gains - foreign tax credit relief " box in Foreign income details page and entered all transaction details in foreign capital gains section - including a statement of foreign tax paid (higher than UK liability). Then filled in Capital Gains computation worksheet and elected to use the figures in this worksheet. When I go to view my tax calculation, the form indicates that from the information I have given, it estimates my foreign tax credit relief as £0.00. Is there something wrong with the online form’s calculation?

I am a UK resident and have sold property abroad in Ireland. I am reporting capital gain through my oniine self assessment return. As instructed, I have filled in details of gain in Capital Gains section, checked Capital gains - foreign tax credit relief box in Foreign income details page and entered all transaction details in foreign capital gains section - including a statement of foreign tax paid (higher than UK liability). When I go to view tax calculation, the form calculates my foreign tax credit relief as £0.00 and my full tax calculation shows me liable to capital gains tax. Is there something wrong with the online form’s calculation?