Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Tax on a pension death benefit lump sum - reclaim (overseas)

This is regarding death benefit lump sum disbursed from my late brother's pension account with the Royal London Institution. Regrettably, his passing occurred in July, 2020. The process of settling this payment was protracted due to deliberations regarding the appropriate recipient of the death benefit lump sum, which included considerations involving his cohabitating girlfriend. This aspect was beyond our control. Following numerous exchanges of correspondence, a decision has been reached to allocate the funds to my parents. It has come to our attention that there is a 40% tax levy on the sum of £32,333.32. Given that my parents did not benefit from his properties or life insurance, the prospect of a substantial portion of this sum being withheld is distressing. I have been informed that there may be a possibility of reclaiming this tax, and have been directed to the following link for further guidance: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-back-income-tax-on-a-pension-death-benefit-lump-sum-p53zdb My inquiry pertains to the eligibility of my parents, who reside abroad in Poland, as beneficiaries to reclaim this tax. Furthermore, I am curious if my submission of the requisite forms on their behalf, as their daughter and sibling of the deceased, would expedite the process. Having resided in the UK for nearly seven years, I am eager to assist in any capacity to facilitate the recovery of the taxed amount. Your guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you