Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: EU business providing digital services to UK consumers

Update: This has been a temporary disruption for whatever reason. Credit card payment works again.
  • RE: EU business providing digital services to UK consumers

Thank you for your help. We are indeed already registered for VAT. The question was meant to confirm that we are registered with the correct government service and website. We can login to the HMRC site, review VAT returns and submit payments (up to the point were the card is rejected), so I assume this is the "portal" you mentioned. Our corporate credit card worked well in the past (paying in Pound Sterling) but is now rejected. If this isn't a temporary technical problem, we'll have to figure out the overseas bank transfer option. Thanks again for the details. The technical issues have nothing to do with Brexit, but it added friction for small businesses, freelancers, content publishers, etc. I don't know how much that adds up to in the grand scheme of things, but doing business with the UK has become more time-consuming and complicated. Finding your way around German bureaucracy is no better, so be it ;-)
  • EU business providing digital services to UK consumers

We are a small business located in the EU selling downloadable software online, mostly to consumers. Since EU/MOSS has been disrupted after Brexit, we have registered for VAT with HMRC and have been reporting returns and making payments via credit card since. Now out of a sudden, credit card payment no longer works. One possible reason mentioned on the HMRC site is that payment may fail if the card is not issued in the UK. Obviously it isn't, as we are a German business. Now that there are virtually no more ways left to make a payment, neither via direct debit, SEPA, IBAN, or otherwise, I wonder if our VAT registration is even correct in the first place. The whole site and process seems to be targeted at domestic businesses only. We might have missed something. a) Where do we need to register for VAT? b) How are we supposed to make payments from Germany? c) Does a revenue threshold apply for overseas businesses? Thanks in advance.