Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Swiss national taking UK employer pension after leaving UK

I am a Swiss national living and working in the UK for the past three years, and will return to Switzerland after I take my retirement this year. I have a small private pension from my employer, and understand that it can be sent to a QROPS in Switzerland - and on this basis there should be no UK tax applied when it is transferred. I understand however that the pension cannot be withdrawn for a period of 5 years after transfer, but it is not clear that this applies if, like me, I will be 65. Can you kindly confirm if that 5-year rule applies even though I will be at/over retirement age, and that there are indeed no UK tax requirements? Alternatively, I am also considering leaving the pension in the UK and taking flexible withdrawals when I come regularly to visit my family here. I am paying taxes to the HMRS and understand that the pension would be subject to UK tax as usual, and wonder if it is possible to use my daughter's address to continue in the system. I would probably withdraw the 25% tax free portion immediately, and then withdraw smaller amounts once or twice a year when visiting. Is this a viable option for me? Thank you very much for your advice.