Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Tax Resident

Thank you very much for this reply. However, I asked the Spanish Tax Authorities and the said that "holidays" count as something called "sporadic days", and that thee holidays should be counted as "days in the UK", for tax residency purposes. I was on holiday in Spain (visiting my family): for 10 days in January 2023, and also for 15 days in April 2023.... Do I take these days as "days lived in the UK", or as "days lived in Spain"..., for calculating how many days I am resident in the UK / Spain? Since 12 July 2023, I live in Spain. My family is also living in Spain. If you could clarify it, I would be very grateful. Many thanks. Can I choose to
  • Tax Resident

Dear Sir/Dear Madam, I have lived in the UK for 20 years and I have recently moved to Spain. I am trying to count the days where I have lived in the year, in order to see whether I am resident in UK or in Spain. Could you please tell me the following: - What happens with holidays abroad?, do they count as days of "residency" in the "country of departure", or in the "country of arrival"? - What happens with the actual day when one takes the flight?, do they count as "residency" in the "country of departure", or in the "country of arrival"? Thank you very much for your help. Kind regards.
  • RE: Time-0ff work (as unpaid leave)

Thank you very much HMRC Admin 20, it was very helpful to know all that. I read on the internet that "carers allowance" and "carers credit" could be possible if one claims them from abroad, as long as one has lived in the UK during the last 2 years... Is that correct? I am interested to know as that would be my case. I only left the UK this summer, after living in the UK for many years. And also, could you please give me an alternative telephone number for the DWP, since 0800 telephone numbers do not seem to work when dialling them from abroad, which is a problem. Thanks a lot for any help. Kind regards.
  • Time-0ff work (as unpaid leave)

Dear Sir / Madam, I have started a “time-off work” period (as “unpaid leave”), in order to care for my mother (who is an elderly lady). During this time-off work period (for an initial period of three years, but it may be longer), I am going to live in Spain, to be next to my mother. I would like to ask the following. 1) Whether my time-off work, in order to care for my mother, is considered as a “contributory period” for National Insurance purposes (that is, if the time-off work period is considered as "active period” for contributory purposes). 2) Whether my time-off work is taken into account for retirement or unemployment purposes. 3) Whether I am in a situation similar to “being affiliated” to the National Insurance scheme. The basis of my questions is that I need to know whether during my "time-off work" period I shall be affiliated to the National Insurance system, or will be considered to be in an equivalent situation. I am not in receipt of a salary at present, and I do not receive any benefits. I thank you very much in advance for your attention, since I am quite lost and my employer does not really know how to respond. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards.
  • U1 Form - questions within the form

Dear Sir / Dear Madam, I have these questions, regarding the U1 Form. I am Spanish by origin, and I have a Spanish passport. I also have British citizenship through “naturalization”, and I have a UK passport as well. - In the U1 Form, there is this question: “Are you a UK national?” … should I reply “yes” or “no”? Because I was born in Spain All my family lives I Spain (my parents, uncles, cousins, etc… everyone in my family i in Spain). - In the U1 Form, there is this question: “Are you a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss National? … should I reply “yes” or “no”? Because I have no family in the UK. Thank you very much. Kind regards.
  • RE: Tax on a UK Government Pension (if you live abroad)

Thanks Admin 8, Could you please confirm that this quote is correct?: " As a National of UK, and as a National and a Resident of Spain, you can have this government pension taxed in Spain". Thank you very much. Kind regards.

Hello HMRC Admin 25, Thanks for your reply. Just to double check, to make things clear... can you please confirm that this quote is correct?: ... ".. as a National of UK, and as a National and a Resident of Spain, you can have this taxed in Spain and should submit the relevant claim form" . Thank you very much. Kind regards.

Hello HMRC Admin 10, Thanks for your message. However, my initial question has not been answered yet. Here is my query again. Can you please tell me: "If a person is a UK National and also a Spanish National (i.e. if one has the TWO NATIONALITIES, British and Spanish) and they are fiscal residents in Spain... in which country do you pay the taxes on the "UK Government/Civil Service Pension"? Please could you reply to this specific question? Thank you very much. Kind regards.

HMRC Admin 25, I am sorry, but your statement.. "...This type of government pension remains taxable in the UK" is not fully correct. As Gary Coombs clearly stated... "... government pensions are normally taxable only in the paying country as that is stipulated in Article 18 (2)(a). However, where the recipient has (in this case) Spanish nationality and is resident in Spain then Article 18(2)(b) is clear that the pension shall be taxable only in the country of residence". HMRC Admin 25, could you please confirm Article 18(2)(b) as quoted above, and could you reply to the question: "If you are a UK National and also a Spanish National (i.e. if one has the two nationalities, British and Spanish) and live in Spain... where would one pay the tax on the "UK Government/Civil Service Pension"? - Please can you confirm? Thank you very much to all who replied. Kind regards.

Hello Gary, Thank you very much for taking the trouble to explain all that in detail. It is the only clear answer that I have found so far on the internet. Thank you very much. Excuse me, HMRC Admin 10 and HMRC Admin 25, but could you clarify your answers again? I am referring only to receiving a "UK Government Pension" (for civil service work done in the past). HMRC Admin 10, and HMRC Admin 25... could you reply to this question, please: "If you are a UK National and also a Spanish National (i.e. if one has the two nationalities, British and Spanish) and live in Spain... where would one pay the tax on the "UK Government/Civil Service Pension"? - Please confirm. Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you.