Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Personal allowance deducted by "Untaxed Interest on Saving"

So, do you mean that the untaxed interest of 2023/24 is using the total amount of untaxed interest we receive in 2022/23? Will the actual untaxed interest of 2023/24 be reflected by end of 2024? or they will be reflected in following year ie 2024/25? Best regards, 
  • Personal allowance deducted by "Untaxed Interest on Saving"

Hello, My personal allowance was reduced by the "untaxed interest on saving" for £486. What is untaxed interest on saving about? and how this figure come up ? Best regards, Nancy
  • income declared for split year treatment

Dear Sir/Madam, I came to UK on 18 Aug 2022 and rented a house for living. The rental agreement started on 19 Jun 2022 before I came to UK. Now I apply for a split year treatment. Should I declare the income after 18 Aug 2022 that I came to UK or 19 Jun 2022 that the rental agreement started? Best regards, Nancy
  • SA 109 Box 10 days enquiry

Dear Sir, I came to UK on 18 Aug 2022 and started my only home in UK. I will apply for split year treatment. For the box 10 of SA109 form, I am confusing what total number of days should be filled in. Is it (a) the total number of days in UK before I came to UK or (b) total number days in UK after I came to UK? May I ask which number of days applies, (a) or (b)? Best regards, 

Name removed admin .
  • Split Year Treatment - Case 4 or 8?

Dear Sir, Could you please clarify what is the different between the case 4 and case 8 of split year treatment? I arrived UK on 18 Aug 2022 as a starting to have home in UK. Before I came UK, I sold my home in Hong Kong. After I came UK, I have been renting a property being my new home in UK. As such, does case 4 apply to me rather than case 8? The rental agreement took effect from 19 Jun 2022 which is 2 months before I came UK? Is 18 Aug 2022 the day that should be classed as the part of UK of the year began? Best regards, 
  • Foreign Rate from HRMC

HI, I have some interest income in foreign currency and I know that the foreign exchange rates from HMRC should be applied. However, I found that there are yearly rates, monthly rates and spot rates. Which one I should use? or I am allowed to use any of these rates (ie yearly or monthly or spot rates)? Best regards, 

Name removed admin .
  • Split year

Hello, If I apply for split year as I came to UK in August 2022, I need to declare the total income after I came to UK is it correct? Another question, if my foreign income is less than £2,000 and will declare it in the form SA100, then I don't need to declare it in SA106 foreign income, is it correct? Best regards, Nancy
  • Saving Interest Rate

Hi, I have some saving in Apr 2022, but the interest was paid in May 2022. I have 2 questions: - though the bank will notify the interest to HMRC, I need to declare it in the tax return. - the interest paid in May should fall in tax year 2023/24, not 2022/23 though it is interest for saving of Apr. Am I correct? Best regards, Nancy
  • RE: US Treasury bill

Hi, Thanks for your confirmation. I have one more question. Since it have not been remitted to UK. Will it be treated as an unremittable income thus I need to put a check in form SA106 box (1)?
  • US Treasury bill

Hi, I bought US Treasury bills issued at a discount and redeemed at their full value in less than a year. No interest is paid. For example, I bought at USD 95 and on maturity after 6 months I would get USD 100. These are issued at a discount for maturity in less than a year and pay no interest. My first inclination is that the discount must be taxed as income as if it were interest but not capital gain as I kept it until maturity. Up to today, the USD is still keeping in my oversea platform, not remitted to UK. Because they are denominated in US dollars, I need to report this in self assessment form SA106 (foreign) Page 2 as "interest on oversea saving", am I correct? the amount I need to report is in sterling so I need to convert the USD into GBP using the exchange rate on buying date and maturity date. Is my understanding correct? If not, please correct me.