Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Buying out other beneficiaries

Hi, on my mothers passing our family home was left to myself and my three siblings equally. My daughter was already living in the property and wanted to buy it. So to make this possible I had a deed of variation drawn up by the solicitor and made her the forth beneficiary to the property. The house was valued at 390k, however it was agreed that this was a low valuation and that 400k was more reflective of the true value of the house. With her quarter share of the property she would buy the other three out of the property, paying 300k , 100k to each of her two aunts and uncle. This was completed, however now we are being told we may incur CGT on the extra 10k. Is this the case when the deed makes her a beneficiary and it’s a beneficiary who has bought the others share.

[Display name amended - Admin]
  • RE: Paying CGT after death

I recently inherited a quarter of my parents house. I signed my share of the house over to my daughter using a deed of variation through a solicitor. The house was valued at 390k, which we felt was slightly under valued, but it was agreed that as my daughter wanted to keep the house she would buy the other beneficiaries out of the property. The sale value was agreed at 400k, meaning she would buy the property for 300k, as she already owned a quarter of the property through the inheritance. My question is do we owe capital gains tax on the notional price of 400k , so the 10k over the original lowest valuation. Or non as there has been no actual financial gain as the actual price paid was only 300k. The executor of the will is being very difficult and is not giving me any answers instead saying we may have to pay CGT on the 10k, but how can you pay tax on something that has not incurred a capital gain. Thank you from a vary confused person