Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Newly self-employed on top of PAYE

Bumping up - can anyone help?
  • Newly self-employed on top of PAYE

Hello, Please could someone offer some clarification on the following: I have just started a new part time self-employed role. This is in addition to an existing role with an employer where my salary is paid monthly using PAYE. I understand that my first self assessment will not need to be until the next tax year (25/26) for self employed earnings this current tax year (24/25). I understand that I don’t need to register as self employed/sole trader until I submit my first self assessment tax return as I haven’t had any additional income in the last tax year (23/24) to warrant a self assessment. Please can you verify this is correct? When I do submit a self assessment which would include information from my P60 for my PAYE job. (Estimated annual salary £20k so tax will be paid on the amount from £12571 upwards)) do I then receive a bill for the declared self employment income which I pay separately? Or does HMRC notify my employer to pay the additional self employment income via PAYE? Do I get to choose how to pay my additional tax bill? Can I prepay upfront in anticipation of my tax bill?