Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Working for an USA based company from the UK

    Good afternoon! I recently moved to the UK on a Global Talent Visa, but I am still settling in and do not have a local job. I have a remote contract with a USA-based company and work through a Consultant Agreement on an hourly basis, without benefits, paid vacations, etc. In many aspects, this seems similar to self-employment. However, when I take the HMRC test, it tells me that I am employed because I have “limited financial risk for this engagement”. According to this test, I should be using PAYE. But the company is not registered in the UK, and I cannot receive payment through payroll. How should I pay taxes? Is it still possible to qualify my activity as self-employed and register for Self Assessment?