Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Making voluntary pension contributions on behalf of my partner

I am in a position to help my wife grow her own pension. If I was to give her a lump sum (taken from my own salary after tax) each year to pay into her private pension, is that permitted? If so, I understand she would receive basic tax relief from her provider upon paying it in, but would she be eligible to claim additional tax relief (she is a higher rate tax payer) in her self assessment as long as her payments are within the annual allowance threshold?
  • RE: Adjusted Net Income - Private Pension

Hi, I have a taxable gross annual income of £125,000. However, I also receive £15,000 per year in pension contributions from my employer, which means my adjusted income is £140,000. In order to qualify for tax free childcare and free childcare for working parents, I have reduced my adjusted net income to under £100,000 by making additional voluntary pension contributions of £45,000 (salary sacrifice so before tax). That brings my adjusted net income to £95,0000, and the pension contributions (£60k) remain within the permitted annual allowance. However, I also expect an annual bonus each year (amount will vary but for this example, let's assume it will be £20,000). This will take my adjusted net income back above £100,000. If I pay my entire bonus into my pension, I know that any contribution above the AA will be subject to the annual allowance charge at my marginal tax rate. However, my question is for the purposes of my tax free children/free childcare for working parents, does that £20k pension overpayment still help to reduce my adjusted net income and enable me to qualify for these childcare support?

[Display name amended - Admin]