Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: SED Seafarers Earning Deduction - Net Income £0

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • SED Seafarers Earning Deduction - Net Income £0

Hi, I have been claiming SED Seasfarers Earning deduction since 2007 and do this annually with accountant and self assesment form. A number of years ago received a letter from HMRC, that 'procedures need to be followed to ensure correct claims' My current understanding is that as a result of my claiming SED, the claim is on the whole wage/income, my net income is £0. But when i complete the form for Universal credit with my partner, it does not allow me to enter £0, and i have completed the journal entries stating what SED is and that £0 net income should be declared, but Universal Credit want what is written on my payslips which i think is still incorrect according to previous guidance from HMRC. I have looked online at all the seaferers pages but there is only guidnace on making a claim, nothing regarding net income being £0. Universal Guidnace helpline wasn't much use as they hadn't heard of SED Seafarers earning deduction. So my question is do I still enter £0 as my net income? and how do i get the Universal Credit team to understand this? Can HMRC send me a form or a letter that I can show them?