Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Self Assessment Form - Underpaid tax for earlier years

I have just completed my on line self assessment for the first time - this was for year 2021 -2022. A section of the self assessment form requested an amount for "Underpaid tax for earlier years in your tax code 2021 -22". I have a tax code notice for April 2021 to April 2022. On the first page of the tax code notice there are two items :- Less Untaxed Interest £4419 go to note 2 Less Adjustment for tax you own (earlier year) £1679 go to note 3 On the reverse of the tax code notice under note 3 it mentions "we previously told you that you owe £335 tax from an earlier tax year. We have therefore included an adjustment to reduce your tax free allowance by £1679'....." Can you please inform me what value I should include on my self assessment form for "Underpaid tax for earlier years in tour tax code 2021 -22". Should it be £4419, £1679 or £335 - it seems to me that as this amount is directly added to the Income Tax due total that it should be the £335. But can you please confirm. Regards