Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Completing SA109

After researching a bit more I have concluded that I do have to complete SA109 in order to claim the personal allowance and that I should tick box 16 (as I am a UK citizen) whereas my husband would tick box 15. I have realised that as my husband is no longer resident in the UK, he does have to report his Japanese income. Box 20 appears to be for the UK earnings he has been taxed on in Japan. If his UK earnings is below the personal allowance can he leave box 20 blank? If his UK earnings is above the personal allowance would he enter the amount of his UK income in total or just the amount over the tax allowance?
  • Completing SA109

Hello I (UK citizen) moved with my husband (Japanese citizen with UK permanent residency) from the UK to Japan at the end of August 2023. We are planning to submit our self-assessment tax returns via a third party software provider. My situation: UK income received till June 2023 (no UK employment after this date) UK interest UK Dividends No UK home after August 2023 No Foreign income (no overseas savings / employment) - Do I still have to complete SA109 so that I can claim the personal allowance (box 15)? My husband's situation: Same as above except he has been working fulltime in Japan since September 2023. - On his SA109 form box 20 does he enter the amount of Japanese salary he has received?