Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Stocks & Shares ISA

Hello. I have read SAIM8020 and found that the cashback may not have all four characteristics. 1st characteristic: Yes. the payment is under a legal contract and a promotion campaign. 2nd characteristic: No. The obligation to make payments is just for deposits made within a tax year. 3rd characteristic: No. The cashback is capital and not income. 4th characteristic: Unsure. The cashback is paid to a non-ISA investment account when I make a deposit to an ISA investment. I am not sure if it is regarded as ‘pure income profit’ that comes to the recipient without he or she having to do anything in return. I have also read SAIM8030 and SAIM8040 but I am still unsure if it is ‘pure income profit’. Can you clarify, please? I have also read the Statement of Practice 4 (1997). It said, " In general, ordinary retail customers purchasing goods, investments or services at arm’s length will not be liable to Income or Capital Gains Tax in respect of any commission, discounts or cashbacks received by them." Can I know, as an ordinary consumer, if making deposits to a retail investment account is regarded as "purchasing investments" in the Statement of Practice 4 (1997)? Thank you.
  • The £50,000 threshold for filling the Capital Gains page

Hello. I have a general question about Stocks & Shares ISA and the tax return Capital Gains page. I know that we need to complete the Capital Gains page if we sold or disposed of chargeable assets which were worth more than £50,000. May I know if selling ETFs, stocks and shares in an ISA account counts towards the £50,000 threshold? If I sold assets worth £80,000 in an ISA account and £40,000 in a non-ISA account, does it mean I still don't need to complete the Capital Gains page? Thank you.
  • RE: Stocks & Shares ISA

Hello, How about the 1% cashback deposited into a normal investment account (non-ISA)? Is it regarded as other UK income (annual payment)? Thank you.
  • Stocks & Shares ISA

Hello, I have some general questions when opening a Stocks & Shares ISA account. 1. After opening a Stocks & Shares ISA account, within the current tax year, we can get 1% cashback as an incentive whenever we make deposits in the ISA account. However, the cashback is deposited into a normal investment account (non-ISA). May I know if it is regarded as other UK income (annual payment)? 2. When keeping the deposits in the Stocks & Shares ISA account and a normal investment account, the investment platform gives daily interest to us. I know that we don't need to declare the interest arises in the Stocks & Shares ISA account. However, which box should I declare the interest paid by the investment platform to a normal investment account? Thank you for your clarification.