Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Request for Direct Debit Option for National Insurance Contributions

Thank you again for this information. Again, it's a privilege to have an expert answer my questions clearly and directly (even if the answers are not always what the customer wants to hear!). I understand that I need to receive the letter in order to pay. Is it possible for me to receive that letter to a property abroad at some point? Thank you for your service.

Thank you for the advice. Just to give a few more details having read the NI38: I have been paying voluntary Class 2 contributions while living abroad. I understand that to set up these as a direct debit payment, I need to complete the form again to set up a direct debit for these payments. My main concern is ensuring that my contributions remain classified as Class 2 and not mistakenly changed to Class 3 during this process. Here are a few details about my situation: - I've been paying voluntary Class 2 contributions since I moved abroad in 2013. I worked in the UK for (well)over three years prior to this. - I want to set up a direct debit for my contributions, and my next payment is due in April 2025. To confirm: 1 Is there anything specific I should do to ensure my contributions remain as Class 2 when I set up the direct debit? 2 Are there any potential issues I should be aware of when completing the form to avoid a misclassification of my contributions? 3 Should I contact HMRC directly to verify my eligibility for Class 2 contributions before submitting the form? From the information provided, it seems that my eligibility will have not changed. I noticed on my application to pay voluntary contributions that I can also make overseas payments via bank transfer, using my National Insurance number followed by "IC" as the reference. If this is a viable alternative to setting up a direct debit, it might be more convenient for me. Therefore: 5 Is it possible to access a digital version of the letter that tells me exactly how much I need to pay? While I do receive the letter to my home address, being able to access it digitally would make life easier and allow me to pay without needing to set up a direct debit. I tried calling HMRC for assistance but was on hold for over half an hour and then got cut off. Your service is tremendously appreciated.

Thank you for your reply. It is great that this service exists as a forum with experts to answer. I have been paying my contributions from abroad for years. I read from the link you sent this: You can pay by Direct Debit directly from your UK or Channel Islands bank or building society account. The Direct Debit arrangement normally begins after we receive a request from you to pay by Direct Debit. It continues until you tell your bank or building society to cancel it. We will not collect National Insurance contributions for any weeks beyond State Pension age. If you cancel your Direct Debit, remember that we collect your National Insurance contributions in arrears. It seems if I send an email to my case worker then I can request that this is paid via direct debit rather than via post. What is the best email to do this? Thank you.
  • Request for Direct Debit Option for National Insurance Contributions

Hello, I have been paying National Insurance contributions for approximately 23 years. For the past few years, I have been working abroad and have continued to make my contributions via statutory requests sent to my UK address. To streamline the process and make it more convenient, I am wondering if there is a way to set up a direct debit payment option for my National Insurance contributions. Could you please provide information on whether this option is available, and if so, the steps I need to take to set it up? Thank you for your assistance.