Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Calculation of capital gains tax on spin off shares

I had bought shares in United Technologies which has spun off 2 companies Carrier Global and Otis Worldwide and allocated me shares in each of the spin offs. When I sell shares in each of these, please advise on how to calculate the capital gains in each case. Does the entire value of each spin off holding count as capital gain seeing as I did not pay for them?
  • Foreign Inheritance

I have been left the equivalent of about £100,000 by my father who died abroad. I am unable to transfer the money to the UK due to foreign exchange restrictions in the country where he died. Please can you tell me what happens when I die re inheritance tax on this money as my estate will be over the threshold for UK inheritance tax even without this money being taken into account and my children will not be able to transfer the money to the UK either
  • Foreign Tax Credit, when does HMRC calculate it?

i am in the process of competing my self assessment return for 23/24 online. I have dividends on foreign shares and want to claim foreign tax credit relief but the following comes up when I click on 'View your calculation'. "Sorry, we can't automatically calculate foreign credit relief for you. If you wish to work it out for yourself the figures below will help you." I find it too confusing to work it out for myself, so please can you tell me how long after submitting my return does HMRC calculate the foreign tax credit relief? Also, I think I will have paid too much tax without it being calculated before I submit my return, so will I get a refund once HMRC calculates it? Thank you