Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• CGT treatment on shares purchased before UK residency but sold after UK residency

Hi There, I am currently non-resident in the UK (17 years), but will be returning to the UK soon and become a permanent (UK taxable) resident. I own shares held within a (non UK) superannuation fund. When I return to the UK can I continue to hold the shares in the fund but (for UK tax purposes) reset the cost base to the date of my entry into the UK and also declare dividends paid after my arrival as foreign income on my UK tax return? Example - ABC:SHARES purchased @$1.00 (01/06/15) - price on return to uk (01/06/24) $2.00 (reset cost base to $2.00 / 1.04 GBP) sold on 01/06/28 @$3.00/ 1.56 GBP = 52p per share capital gain? Dividends declared to HMRC as foreign dividends (with any double taxation treaty credits applied) as of 01/06/24 to disposal on 01/06/28. Assuming overseas tax liabilities met and allowing for variables (fx rate etc), is this a correct understanding of the UK tax treatment for CGT & income purposes?