Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Remote working while visiting a family member

Hi, Thank you for the link. I have reviewed it and would like to seek further clarifications on the following questions if I were to file my tax under the Remittance Basis. I do not remit any money to UK but have been using my Singapore issued credit/debit cards to pay for expenses (i.e food, transport, tourist attraction tickets etc). Questions: Are these expenses considered as Remittance? If so, do I just consolidate the total amount spent during my duration for the tax year and file them as the amount to be taxed? Will these bank statements be submitted as supporting documents during filing? With the Double Taxation Agreement with Singapore, I understand that tax payable in Singapore can be used as credits to offset taxes in UK. Based on the remittance scenario above, if I am required to pay $10K of UK taxes and have already paid $20K of Singapore taxes due to my Singapore based income, will I be able to offset the $10K of UK taxes with the $20K of Singapore tax as credits?
  • Remote working while visiting a family member

Hi HMRC, I would like to check if I will be liable for UK tax, if I were to file a self-assessment under the Remittance Basis for assessment year 2025/2025 based on the circumstances below: - Purpose of visit: Visiting my spouse, who is working in the UK on secondment - Duration of stay in UK: Approximately 6-8 months from May 2024 - Nature of work: Remote working (taking calls and emails) out of my job in Singapore, with a US-based firm. - Citizenship: I am Singaporean citizen - Visa type: I have a dependent visa, tagged to my husband's duration here but I do not plan to conduct any work or seek employment in the UK - Source of income: My only source of income will be my salary from my job in Singapore and I do not intend to remit any of my income into the UK. Thank you for your help!