Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: claim foreign tax credit relief

Hello, a question related to this thread - I have capital gains from investments abroad that I need to declare, and want to claim tax relief for the tax deducted there (in Austria). Like the person who posted above, I had to select the relevant tax relief rate from the dropdown when entering the foreign income of up to 20% although the actual tax taken was around 40% (and separately for dividends received abroad, where it is around 10% - in some subsequent pages, the system suggests 0 tax relief, but then does generate a final tax relief figure in the calculation as per the rates I chose in the dropdown). You wrote "You should select yes to declare foreign income and yes to claim foreign tax credit relief on capital gains. You need to declare the capital gain in the capital gains section and then also in the foreign section of fill in your return." I have done this, but now my gross capital gains show up twice, once as a fully taxed additional income under "foreign savings", and then again in the capital gains overview (which includes UK capital gains and is taxed at the relevant 20% rate). So the foreign capital gains end up being taxed as income, and then again as capital gains (over the threshold). Might you be able to point out what I am doing wrong? Many thanks Michael
  • RE: Foreign tax credit relief

Hello - I have a similar problem, I have entered the foreign income (from employment only) in the employment income section (without a PAYE reference for the foreign employer), and declared the foreign income and tax paid abroad in the Foreign section, but the system says "There are no figures used to calculate your foreign tax credit relief from Part 3" in the "View your calculation" step. I have checked and the numbers I am provided in that step to look at are accurate, but in the previous step it says "Enter your foreign tax credit relief in the box provided", yet no such box is provided. The amount of tax relief I would want to claim should be the tax paid abroad, I just don't know where to enter it. Might you be able to help with this? Many thanks.