Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Reduced rate VAT - conversion of residential to house of multiple occupation

I have tried to call HMRC VAT for hours and days. Each call takes 30 minutes to answer and then once I get through it cuts off. There is no webchat and absolutely no other stated way to make contact. How can this be acceptable? I am look for information on what certification is required to ensure suppliers charge a reduced rate of 5% VAT in context of conversion of a residential home to multiple occupation (according to paragraph 7.5 of guidance Buildings and construction (VAT Notice 708)). Is there a template certification that I can download and provide to suppliers (please note we have since purchase of the relevant house commenced an application to the planning authority)? Also, since purchase (several weeks ago) of the house we are converting, we have incurred standard rate VAT with solicitors and architects and would wish to revert to them and ask for a refund of 15% of the VAT we have paid and that they adjust their respective VAT returns. Is this possible to do and what are the requirements to ensure proper processing.