Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Split year treatment: What income to declare

For the 23-24 tax year I have determined that I qualify for split year treatment. This has raised a few questions when filling in the return. I was employed for a period in the UK, and then for the remainder of the tax year by a company in Japan. In addition, I rented out a house I own in the UK. Could I confirm that: - In the UK property section, I use the entire tax year to calculate income, expenses, etc.., no matter if I am in the resident or non-resident portion. - In the employment section, I only need to list the UK employer (since that takes places in the resident portion) but not the Japan employer (since that takes places wholly in the non-resident portion). - On the additional information sheet, I do not need to fill in box 12 'Foreign earnings not taxable in the UK' since I'm not claiming any tax relief, nor have any foreign earnings for the resident period. All the income from the Japan job is being taxed under Japan's system and doesn't need to be declared here, since it is not declared in the employment section.