Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Self Assessment - Company takeover partway through tax year

Hi, I worked for a company ("previous company") that was taken over by another company ("new company") and my employment moved under TUPE regulations. The previous company now ceases to exist. The transfer to the new company's payroll took place partway through the tax year. As a result, for 3 months my taxable income and PAYE was reported to HMRC by the previous company with the remaining 9 months reported by the new company. Two main questions: 1. For my self assessment return should I (a) report total income for the year under the name of the new company or (b) report respective amounts for each company? 2. The new company has aggregated total taxable income for the full 12 month period in its reporting to HMRC rather than just the 9 months worth of taxable pay under them (the monthly totals are correct but when you add it up it doesn't equal to the total amount they report). The previous company has report 3 months worth of taxable pay separately. Therefore, there is some double counting going on in the reporting which makes it look like I've been paid more in total even though the monthly is correct. Is this something the new company needs to correct in their filings? Thanks for your help