Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Is CGT required?

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • Is CGT required?

I purchased my home in January 2021 and lived there for some time. The distance from my workplace, however, prevented me living there. As such, I moved to my son’s house. I rented out my house in the following two years.  My tenant moved out in September 2023 and the property was then unoccupied for a year before I sold it. Since my son is going to sell his house, I need to move elsewhere. Due to the distance from my workplace, I was unable to move back in my property. Therefore, I sold my property in early August this year and later purchased a new property, which is closer to my workplace, to be my residence.     Could you please advise if I need to pay the capital gain tax given the following circumstances : - 1. I only purchased a new property after selling my previous one. That means I only have one property at any one time. 2. I only have one residence at the same time. 3. I sold my property in view of the distance from my workplace but not aiming at gaining any profit. 4. The purchase cost of my new property was even higher than the selling price of my previous one. No gain is therefore incurred. 5. For the rental income of my previous property, I had submitted the self assessment return and paid the tax accordingly. Thank you.
  • RE: Reporting Capital Gain Tax for Residential Property

Hi, can I have HMRC’s reply please?
  • Reporting Capital Gain Tax for Residential Property

I sold my residential property in early August and I know I have to report and pay the CGT within 60 days. I have an existing Government Gateway ID which I have used for Self Assessment. Could you please advise if: 1. my existing Government Gateway ID is related to business account. 2. I need to sign up for a personal tax account and create a brand new user ID for personal tax use. Thank you.
  • CGT on Property Sale

I just sold my property in end July that I was letting out. I want to confirm if I need to report and pay the CGT within 60 days. After reporting this via the Capital Gains Tax on UK property reporting facility, shall I need to include details of the sale again in my coming self assessement return? If yes, will I be charged the tax twice?