Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: RSUs and ESPP

Thanks HMRC Admin 19. That's fair enough. My point was that HMRC Admin 25 did comment a couple of month's ago and may have given misleading information. The "Adjusted Cost Basis" as per the E-Trade platform calculates the cost for each tranche of shares separately according to the share price on the date of purchase. If I understand correctly, this is a different calculation by what is required for Section 104 holdings and hence it was incorrect to agree with the previous posting about which suggested using Adjusted Cost Basis. This also does not take into account allowable trading fees and commissions on the purchase or sale.
  • RE: RSUs and ESPP

I also receive RSUs and ESPPs via e-Trade. However I'm a bit confused that HMRC Admin 25 is confirming that those columns from eTrade are correct. I thought that these RSUs and ESPPs (which are purchased on multiple separate occasions) would form a Section 104 holding and therefore the gains/loss per individual share entry as shown on the e-Trade "Gain and loss" information would not be the right values to use? Furthermore, the gains and losses shown on the e-Trade statement are in USD. Each time the shares are sold, the sale price would be need to be converted separately to GBP at the applicable exchange rate for the date of the sale. In that case, there are no figures that E-Trade provides that are suitable to be used directly as the allowable costs or gains in-year?