Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Tax obligations due to delayed bonus payment

Hi Thank you for the response. Who would I have to contact after 5 April 2024 to sort this out and what information/documents would be needed? Thanks
  • Tax obligations due to delayed bonus payment

I joined current employer on 20th March 2023 and was supposed to be paid me sign-on bonus with my first payroll (that was at the end of March 2023) as written in my contract. However, HR made an error and did not pay my sign on bonus in March. Upon enquiry they paid it in April despite my request to sort the issue and pay this in previous year's arrears. However, HR became unresponsive and went ahead paying as part of this year's payment. This means my annual limit is pushed into > £100,000 bracket. This has tax and child care benefits implications on me and causing great concern as I am effectively financially worse with the bonus than if there was no bonus payment at all. Is there a way to get this payment classified as such that it is treated as previous year's arrears (as I was contractually bound to be paid this in my first payroll that was paid in March) by contacting HMRC?