Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How/Where to start initially

Also, can whoever going to answer, tell me whether I can still set up self assessment account though I am working full-time and my employer send my income tax via PAYE? Thanks
  • How/Where to start initially

Hi, I just now registered for the HMRC customer forums. All my life I had been a employee and my employer paid the income tax through PAYE. After April 2023, I have started day trading to see if I can supplement my income in this tough times, though I am at a net loss at the moment. Also I have some dividend payment to report for the current tax year. My questions are : (1) How can I initiate this process? Is there a web form to fill in? How can I start reporting potentially taxable Capital Gains? Though I logged into Government Gateway and search in the HMRC website, I could not find any other than a downloadable form, but it said I had to pre-register to send it. I have never dealt with tax since it went through my employer and a complete novice as far as handling my tax goes and find this is very complicating (2) When should I report for CGT (October 2023 or April 2024)? PLEASE HELP!