Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• marriage allowance income limit

I note the guidance states: "You can benefit from Marriage Allowance if all the following apply: you’re married or in a civil partnership you do not pay Income Tax or your income is below your Personal Allowance (usually £12,570) your partner pays Income Tax at the basic rate, which usually means their income is between £12,571 and £50,270 before they receive Marriage Allowance" My income consists of pension (less than £12,570) and savings income: my total income does exceed £12,570, BUT I do not pay Income Tax because it falls below the Starting Rate for Savings. So my question is, am I still eligible to transfer part of my personal allowance to my spouse? Thank you in anticipation.
  • RE: small gift clarification

Thank you for your response. The guidance stipulates: "Small gift allowance You can give as many gifts of up to £250 per person as you want each tax year, as long as you have not used another allowance on the same person. Birthday or Christmas gifts you give from your regular income are exempt from Inheritance Tax." (i) Does this specific reference to birthday and Christmas gifts mean that such gifts may be given in addition to any gifts given under the the aforementioned £3k/£250 allowances, with no IHT implications? (ii) The reference to birthday and Christmas gifts comes under the "small gift allowance" subheading: does that mean that each birthday/Christmas gift cannot exceed £250, without IHT implications? Thank you in anticipation.
  • small gift clarification

May I please request clarification on the following sentence in the HMRC guidelines on IHT: "Birthday or Christmas gifts you give from your regular income are exempt from Inheritance Tax." Does this mean that you can give someone birthday and Christmas gifts in addition to an exempt gift of £250 or some other sum from your £3000 exemption, with no IHT implications? And if so, is there a limit to the value of the birthday and Christmas gifts? Thank you in anticipation.