Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Changes to the taxation of non-UK domiciled individuals - Transitional arrangements

Dear, I have a question with regards to Transitional arrangements for affected non-UK domiciled individuals. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/2024-non-uk-domiciled-individuals-policy-summary/changes-to-the-taxation-of-non-uk-domiciled-individuals The note stipulates: "UK resident individuals who are ineligible for the 4-year FIG regime (or who choose not to make a claim for a tax year) will be subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on foreign gains in the normal way. Transitionally, for CGT purposes, current and past remittance basis users will be able to rebase foreign capital assets they hold to their value at the rebasing date when they dispose of them. The government is considering the appropriate rebasing date and will set this out at the Budget." I am not eligible for the new "4 year FIG regime) as I have been in the UK for 9 years. I have claimed the remittance basis for the first 2 years but not the following years. Will I be able to rebase foreign capital assets at the rebasing date (which is still to be confirm) when I dispose of them in the future? Or do I need to claim the remittance basis this tax year (last year we can do this) in order to rebase foreign capital assets at the rebasing date? Thank you