Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Import textiles product from Germany to UK - preferential tariff?

Hi again - an update - I have spoken to the relevant manufacturer, and they've confirmed that they can declare the goods to be of Preferential EU Origin - in fact this declaration is already on their invoice. - They don't currently have a REX number, so they have now applied for one and will let us know when this is in place. - I've written to our usual couriers to ask what they need from us to ensure that we complete the declarations correctly so that they apply the the 0% tariff available under the TCA, rather than the default 3rd Country tariff being used at present. Hopefully this means that we will shortly be able to use this tariff, Thank you so much to @customs oldtimer and @HMRC Admin25 for all your help - we wouldn't have got this far without you!

Pear to Pear .
  • RE: Import textiles product from Germany to UK - preferential tariff?

Hi OldTimer Thank you for your help - it sounds as though it's worth my time to continue investigating this! I will reach out to our supplier to see if believe that the products meet the RoO criteria and that they're happy to declare this. We don't generally use an agent - we raise the collection ourselves on our own courier account (DHL) and they handle the customs side of things for us - I guess I need to reach out to them to ask how they would want us to handle it. Many thanks once again.
  • Import textiles product from Germany to UK - preferential tariff?

We import a textile product (sail) made in the EU to the UK - at present we're paying 12% duty when it arrives. HS code is 6306 30 00 00 The product is wholly made in the EU - the thread thread spun, the cloth woven, the sail manufactured, everything. The manufacturing takes place in a factory in Croatia, it's shipped to us by the manufacturer's head office in Germany, so I believe it meets the Rules of Origin. The product price varies from around £2000 to upwards of £25000 I believe that under the TCA there is a preferential tariff of 0% which we could claim - is this correct? I understand that the exporter/manufacturer would have to make a declaration on the commercial invoice that accompanies the sail when it's shipped, stating that it meets the RoO - is this correct? Do they need to include a REX number? Please help me understand this - if we can claim the Preferential tariff it will make the product much more affordable to our UK customers.