Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Breaking house chain and CGT

Thank you. We have now decided to rent out our original / current property once the sale completes on the second property. Please can you advise how we evidence the £90,000 increase our house has made in the seven years since we purchased whilst we have lived in the house to avoid CGT on this if we were to sell at a later date. Is the current house valuation by an estate agent sufficient? Thanks
  • RE: CGT on transfer of part equity of second home to child

Apologies for jumping on your thread. I have a query from the above. We currently have our house up for sale, but are now going to buy a second property to reside in and and going to rent out our 1st that is up for sale. This has made £90k in 7 years without any major home improvements to evidence. Would this estate agent valuation be sufficient to evidence the current value and to avoid paying CGT on the 90k increase in value prior to rental if we were to sell it at a later date? Thanks
  • RE: CGT liability of my primary residance after renting

Hi I am in a similar situation to above. However my house has gone up £90k in value whilst living in with only small home improvements over the last 7 years. How do I evidence this gain as just a main residence before we rent out the property? To avoid paying CGT on monies made prior to any rental? Thanks
  • Breaking house chain and CGT

Hi Our house is up for sale and we have an offer accepted on a house to purchase. If we were to purchase the house as a second property whilst our original property is still up for sale would we have to pay CGT when the original house sold? We would continue living in our original property whilst up for sale and while renovation works start on the second. We have lived in the house 7 years and have never rented it out. We would simply be moving from one primary residence to another. Is there a specific time frame and / or documents to complete to declare situation etc? Is anything due to change with new government? I understand that we would need to pay more stamp duty that can will be refunded. Thanks