Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• How long are HMTRC taking to respond at the moment?

I received a letter in May saying that I would hear within 8 weeks re income tax due prior to my late mother's death. 15 weeks have now elapsed - no reply. Also, I wrote in early July with my calculation of tax due in the Administration period between death and accounts being closed. No reply. How long is HMRC taking at the moment? Should I wait or ring to query? I assume HMRC would like the payments!
  • Income tax due until date of death

My mother died in April this year. All her income was via PAYE through modest pensions plus interest on bank accounts. I am the estate Executor. I received a P1001 letter from HMRC in May saying that you would write to me within 8 weeks informing me whether any tax was due on income to date of death. I noted that I would only be contacted if too much or too little tax has been paid. I am fairly sure some tax payment will be due though I don’t have all her pension/tax information. Nine weeks have passed, and I have not received any correspondence. I do not want to distribute the estate assets just in case HMRC is running late, or there has been a problem with the post – which has affected us several times recently. Is it possible to confirm when HMRC is likely to advise on tax until date of death is payable? That would be a great help.